A fire started north of our house Wednesday midday.
I had just had lunch with Ben for his birthday when the babysitter, Clemin, called at 1:30 telling me there was a fire close to the house.
I drove up home. She was running up the driveway with Whitney. The wind was carrying the 20 foot high flames quickly across the field next to our house. The fireman shouted for us to leave. I grabbed the puppies and we fled. (Picture is from our balcony that night)
Unfortunately, in the shock of it all, I didn't think to go in the house and close the back sliding doors.
So we ended up with a layer of ash all over the house.
These are some of the missionaries and elders from the ward that came to help clean the next morning.
They cleaned everything. Amazing Service.
I went back to check on the house at 430 on Wednesday to find the fire had completely burned around our property line. The house was safe! They purposely plant some many feet away from the house to protect it. The fire stops burning at the edge of the grass. I still know that Heavenly Father was watching over our home. It's a miracle to me.
The tall tree with no leaves has fallen down and is still burning two days later.
The Ground under the banana trees got roasted
Driveway in front of the garage.
View from the balcony
driveway
Field to the south of the house.
Ben got this Birthday Card in the mail the next day!
"Is that a forest fire?"
Inside: Or your birthday candles?
HAHAHA!
This is the hot and dry season in Saipan. Neighbors say fires happen every few years. We have felt so blessed through the fire. Thank you to the "W" Family for letting us stay the night on the first smokey night. Thanks to the ward for rallying an army to clean up the aftermath. Thanks for safety and no damage.






1 comment:
Holy cow! I'm glad you are all ok!
Post a Comment